Military & Veterans

We’re honored to serve those who serve our country.

King has been designated a Military Friendly® School by G.I. Jobs, the premier magazine for military personnel transitioning into civilian life. The Military Friendly® Schools list honors the top 20 percent of colleges, universities, and trade schools that are doing the most to embrace service members and veterans as students.

Military Benefits

We offer the following benefits for our active duty U.S. military and veteran students:

  • GI Bill®
  • Active Duty Tuition discounts*
  • Evaluation of military training for college credit
  • Dependents Educational Assistance Program
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation

*Undergraduate students receive a reduced tuition rate of $250 per semester hour

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is intended for residents and military service members serving after Sept. 11, 2001. You are required to apply for financial aid to receive GI Bill benefits.

Active Duty Admissions

Ready to apply to King? Make sure to do the following as an active duty military member:

  1. Visit to complete your free online application.
  2. Connect with your King University enrollment counselor. They’re your resource for support and information regarding your admissions process. They will contact you once you submit your application to help you through the rest of the process.
  3. Submit requested application materials. Your enrollment counselor will help you identify the necessary materials that may include:
    • Official transcripts from all attended colleges and universities
    • Relevant licensure
    • Personal statement
    • Resumé or curriculum vitae
  4. Apply for tuition assistance (TA).
  5. Submit your TA form to

GI Bill for Veterans

The Department of Veterans Affairs determines college eligibility for U.S. military veterans. King University will certify your enrollment to receive GI benefits.

Veterans Admissions Requirements

If you’re a veteran and ready to apply to King, be sure to:

  1. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs if you are unsure of your eligibility or entitlement at 888.442.4551.
  2. Visit the VA’s GI Bill® website.
  3. Complete King University’s admissions application.
  4. Submit requested application materials. Your enrollment counselor will help you identify the necessary documents which may include:
    • Official transcripts from all attended colleges and universities
    • Relevant licensure
    • Personal statement
    • Resumé or curriculum vitae
  5. Maximize financial aid eligibility by filing your FAFSA as soon as possible. Make sure to use accurate tax information, answer all questions, and include King University as your school choice (code 003496).
  6. Mail your certificate of eligibility and your DD form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to King University.

    Send materials to:
    Jessica W. Swiney
    1350 King College Road
    Bristol, TN 37620

Get Started with Your Benefits

How to Apply

New Student (Has never used VA benefits)

  • Veterans: VA Form 22-1990
    (Application for VA Benefits)
  • Dependents: VA Form 22-5490
    (Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance)
  • Transfer of Entitlement Students: VA-Form 22-1990e
    (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits)

Transfer Student (Previously used VA benefits)

Upload Copy of Forms Here

The VA is making it easier to research colleges and employers approved by the GI Bill. Answer just a few questions to receive an estimate of your GI Bill benefits and information about the facility’s value and affordability.


TN STRONG Act 2017 Tuition Reimbursement Program

Tennessee Public Chapter No. 229.

King University is a TN STRONG Act Approved School

This tuition assistance program provides reimbursement to an educational institution on behalf of eligible members of the Tennessee National Guard. The reimbursement will be in the amount equal to 100% of the maximum resident undergraduate In-State tuition charged by the post-secondary institution member attends.

This program will fund no more than 120 credit hours or 8 full time semesters or equivalent towards an associate’s or first bachelor’s degree when attending a regionally accredited postsecondary institution within Tennessee.

TN National Guard members can apply for this program but must have not missed a ship date to successfully complete basic military training prior to course start date.

Must maintain satisfactory academic progress with 2.0 GPA minimum for the academic term for which STRONG Act tuition reimbursement is being sought. A failing grade ‘F’ will not be paid if only one course is taken. Application packets are required to be completed within (90) days of course completion.

Application packets consist of several items; once prepared the initial application packet is submitted for Commander’s Review and Recommendation. Course/ degree plans from the chosen postsecondary institution will be required as part of the application packet after the completion of nine (9) credit hours or equivalent using the STRONG Act tuition reimbursement.

Members will sign a release statement to authorize communication between State TA Managers and chosen postsecondary institution on members’ behalf. Students are responsible to ensure final grades are forwarded to the State TA Manager.

This constitutes a complete application packet. Only complete packets will be considered for TN STRONG Act tuition reimbursement.

Payments will be made directly to postsecondary institutions on behalf of member.

How to Apply

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition. TA typically covers 100% of tuition, up to $250 per credit hour. Our GPS undergraduate tuition rate is reduced to $250 per credit hour.

All Army National Guard soldiers will use GoArmyEd to request Federal TA (including those on Drilling status).

  1. Contact your enrollment counselor 
    Your enrollment counselor can evaluate and help you with your GoArmyEd account
  2. Complete Registration on GoArmyEd Portal
    1. Visit and log into WWW.GOARMYED.COM
    2. Select “Request TA”
    3. Under “School” select “King University”
    4. Under “Subject” enter the subject code (e.g. MATH, ENGL, PSYC, etc.)
    5. Under “Catalog Number” enter the four-digit course number (e.g. ‘1010’ for ENGL 1010)
      • If you have trouble finding a course, leave this field blank
    6. Under “Start Date Between” enter the date range that includes the start date of your course
    7. You do not need to put in a course number – leave this blank
    8. Select “Next”
    9. Select “Request Class” to choose the courses you want to enroll in
    10. Select “Process Request”
    • Please wait for email confirmation before proceeding to financial check-in.
    • Authorization will be sent to King electronically once your registration has been processed and your TA is approved.

All TA must be approved prior to the GoArmyEd registration deadline.

Active Duty and Air National Guard

  1. Complete the admissions process  
  2. Apply for Tuition Assistance
    If you are AGR or Active Duty, visit the AIR FORCE VIRTUAL EDUCATION CENTER web portal to request TA. Once TA is approved, print the authorization form from the portal. If you are on drilling status, you may not be eligible to receive Federal TA. Contact your Education Office for more information.
  3. Submit the TA form to the Military Affairs Office
    Your TA form may be submitted by fax to 423.652.4727 or scanned/emailed to VETERANBENEFITS@KING.EDU.

Active Duty and Reserve

Air Force Reserve students may request TA reimbursement through their military education office. This means that payment must be made directly to King and students will receive reimbursement upon successful completion of the course. Please note that TA must be requested before the start date in order to receive reimbursement.

  1. Complete the admissions process
  2. Apply for Reimbursement Tuition Assistance
    Log in to the Air Force Portal and follow these detailed instructions on the TA application processNOTE: “Reservists must apply for Tuition Assistance before the start of each class. The Reservist pays attending institution all costs associated with taking each class(s), and is then reimbursed (payment made directly to student) if the grade earned is a C- or better, to include “Satisfactory” and “Pass” on an alternate scale.”
  3. Print Grade Report in Student Portal
  1. Complete the admissions process 
  2. Apply for TA
    Apply for TA online, using links provided below, or contact your education office on base. Please make a note of your registration information (course titles, enrollment dates, etc.) as this will be required on the TA application. Once approved, you will receive the authorized form.