Different Types of Hackers: Who Are They?
There is more to hackers than the criminal behavior you hear about on the news. In fact, ethical hackers protect our data every day. Hackers wear many hats, making them a colorful and often misunderstood group. Take a look at the different types of hackers.
White Hat Hackers
- Mission: To protect organizations
- Personality trait: Ethical
White hat hackers are hired to find security holes in an existing cyber system, so they can be patched.
Blue Hat Hackers
- Mission: To perfect unreleased software
- Personality trait: Precise
Blue hat hackers are hired to test software for bugs before its release. The name is believed to have come from Microsoft’s blue employee badges. (1)
Gray Hat Hackers
- Mission: To challenge themselves
- Personality trait: Ambitious
Gray hat hackers search for and exploit security vulnerabilities without authorization.
Black Hat Hackers
- Mission: To profit from data breaches
- Personality trait: Malicious
Black hat hackers conduct unauthorized cyberattacks to steal personal information to sell for profit.
Callout: Committing a computer crime could lead to fines and multiple years in federal prison, depending on the offense. (2)
In addition to the more commonly known hat hackers, these hackers are gunning to make a stir for personal reasons.
- Mission: To make a statement
- Personality trait: Daring
Hacktivists execute public cyberattacks as a form of political or social protest.
- Mission: To make a mess
- Personality trait: Reckless
Script kiddies are new to hacking and rely on existing tools to access webpages and deface them. (3)
What Hackers Do
Hackers use a variety of tests to search for security weaknesses in different devices or networks.
Penetration tests are cyberattack simulations used to discover points of exploitation. Here are a few types of penetration tests: (4)
- Network: Tests firewalls, next-generation prevention intrusion systems (NGIPS), routers and more for vulnerabilities
- Web Application: Tests web applications in a detailed and intense way on the server and client side
- Wireless: Tests for vulnerabilities in wireless networks, including insecure wireless network configurations and weak authentication
Types of Software Tests
Software tests are used to find patch errors in code, known as bugs. Some of these tests include: (5)
- Unit: Tests individual lines of code to ensure optimal output
- Integration: Determines successful interaction between separate modules or servers
- Functional: Verifies the outputs of actions
Protect Technology and Data
With so many grifters in the world, organizations across the globe need cybersecurity professionals who know how to successfully find vulnerabilities. Understanding each type of hacker means you know who can help and when to be on the lookout.
NOT FOR DESIGN – CTA for WP draft:
Be Part of a Growing Field
Looking to make cybersecurity a career? Check out an online IT degree with a cybersecurity track from King University. King’s cybersecurity track within the online bachelor’s in IT allows you to focus on your pursuit of becoming an ethical hacker. Our online format is designed for working adults, enabling you to balance your education with your busy life. Plus, you can finish your major coursework in as little as 16 months.